It’s an honor to be nominated . . . twice!
This week, I was nominated not once but twice for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award! How cool is that? Once by Spirit Baby Come Home and once by Of Purple Pupils. Thanks to you both, Spirit and Gabriela!
Accepting the award requires that I do the following 5 things:
(F.Y.I., I really despise rules that exist just for rules’ sake, so this is a real challenge for me. However, I’m going to do my best to behave.)
1. Thank and link the amazing person(s) who nominated you.
Spirit Baby Come Home: I don’t know Spirit personally, but her story is a fascinating one. No stranger to heartbreak, her persistence and positivity are really impressive. If you or someone you love is struggling with fertility issues, Spirit is a great blogger to follow. It’s funny she nominated me for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award because I find HER an inspiration.
Of Purple Pupils: Gabriela and I share a love for photography, art and clothes, but her blog is about much more than just those things. For example, in June, she wrote a post called “Breaking Mirrors” about her personal experience with bullying which I thought was exceptionally brave. It began, “When I was in school, I wasn’t exactly a nice girl.” You should read this post. It’s really good.
2. List the rules and display the award.
Done and done.
3. Share seven facts about yourself.
- I am enjoying getting older, perhaps because I feel loved, and I generally do not feel the need to act my age.
- I have entertained the idea of pursuing each of the following as a profession: singing, dancing, acting, comedy, costume design, directing, screenwriting, graphic design, videography, interior design, jewelry making, fashion design, makeup artistry, and a million other creative things I’ve since forgotten about. Because I was interested in so many things, I became paralyzed with fear of picking the wrong one, so I pursued none of them. (My current unrealistic fantasy job is writing this blog for a living.)
- I firmly believe there are two secrets to a successful, peaceful relationship. Ready? Here they are: Tivo and separate bathrooms.
- Even after 16 years, my beloved continues to be the most adorable human being I’ve ever known.
- I love building furniture and stuff from manuals.
- People often like me right away, but I sometimes don’t like them very much. Typically, people irritate me. Not one of my better qualities. On the other hand, those I love, I love fiercely.
- My wife and I are 100% convinced that if we got to hang out with Ellen DeGeneres and Portia DiRossi, they would totally love us. Why are we not friends? Why?
4. Nominate 15 other amazing blogs and comment on their posts to let them know they have been nominated.
Really? Fifteen? That’s a lot. Luckily, I’ve been fortunate enough to find some really terrific blogs during my short time here on WordPress. Bear in mind I am mostly inspired by beauty and humor, so this list is going to be a bit different from other people’s. Here goes:
I hereby nominate the following in no particular order:
- Cee’s Photography: Really lovely photography. Mostly nature, but also some architecture and other things. Cee posts at least one picture a day, so there’s always something wonderful to look at. Most recently, she’s been giving me a fierce case of dahlia envy.
- The Iggy Dialogues: Awesome blog about a dog. From Iggy’s About page: “Iggy the Wonder Schnauzer. Rescue beast. Hobbies include chewing and shrieking.” How weird! Those are my hobbies, too!
Chicago School of Glass Art: Okay, this one really gets my creative juices flowing. Presented by Stuevel’s Stained Glass Studio, they post pictures of their work and that of their students.
- Musings on a Grief Journey: A truly beautiful blog about love and loss and honoring the life of the one lost. Really moving stuff.
- SixEightEighty: Blogger Amber is an interior designer from Calgary, and she posts some wonderful things. I am especially inspired by her 5-Minute Design Fix posts.
- Etsy Finds: Blogger Jonas has a really terrific eye and even more time to browse Etsy than I do (if you can imagine!).
- Silver in the Barn: Barbara is a wonderfully articulate woman. She she writes about everything from restoring her 1915 farmhouse, dealing with her daughter who suffered a catastrophic injury at the age of 29, and her completely adorable Westies. She manages to be positive in the face of adversity that would crush a lesser woman.
- Plus Size Sparkle: Chelsea writes about plus size topics and women’s issues. Like many fashion bloggers, she features an outfit of the day, but unlike most OOTD posts by other bloggers, I can actually see myself in these outfits. I love the plus-size empowerment she promotes.
- Today’s Perfect Moment: Describing himself as a “slightly angry Canadian,” this is blogger Anthony’s happiness project. He searches for and reports on his quest for the perfect moment. Jack has a lot of interests and a lot of hobbies, and I consider him a kindred spirit. He also makes oodles of comments on my blog posts, which makes me very happy.
- Mom (With Cancer) Blog: Jacquelyn is the business. I stumbled across her blog when I was researching a post about breast cancer. I knew as soon as I read what I think of as her manifesto, “99 unexpected things that cancer is giving me,” that I had found something special.
- Moorezart: Douglas is a photographer with a really special eye. The goal of his blog is to see how a classically-trained artist can work with modern tools, and his efforts seem to me to be a stunning success.
The Anxious Traveler: Nothing used to make me nervous. In my teens and twenties, I was completely impervious to the most anxious-making things. Middle age, however, has left me feeling fearful at the most mundane changes in my daily life. I resent this feeling, and go out of my way to resist the urge to avoid social situations and other nervous-making situations, but it’s a struggle. Blogger and author Rita Anya Nara is a world traveler, despite suffering from chronic anxiety and panic disorder. A real inspiration for a recent scaredy-cat like me.
- A Year of Being Kind: Minister and certified drug and alcohol counselor, Elizabeth, has set herself an admirable task: “Do one act of kindness each day of the year, and change 365 lives.” Another kindred spirit!
- The Middlest Sister: Nicole Belanger Smeltzer is the eldest child in a family of 5 girls, and the stories she tells from her childhood are fantastic. You need to go look right now.
- Paul Militaru: I couldn’t possibly make a list of inspirational blogs without including Paul. His photography is really exceptional. I am daily encouraged both by his beautiful photography and by his unfailing support of my blog posts.
UPDATE: Paul Millitaru has declined his nomination and has nominated Belinda of Busy Mind Thinking instead. How’s that for inspirational? I’m afraid I don’t know much about Belinda or the blog, but if Paul’s that big a fan, I clearly have to spend some time there!
5. Proudly display the award logo on your blog and follow the blogger who nominated you. (Optional)
- That’s easy because they’re both wonderful. Hope you check them out, too!