Note: I know that some of you will have seen this already. If so, go read one of my favorite 100% true stories about another Jay instead.
If you ever wanted to know what it’s like to work in retail, there’s a tumblr you’ve just got to read. Known as kimpossiblebooty, this young man started posting about his new cashier job at Target, and it’s amazing. It’s funny, certainly, and weird, and very entertaining, but what really stood out for me was how sweet and poignant it is. This guy really belongs in retail, and I mean that in the nicest way possible. I just hope he keeps posting (and keeps his sense of humor).
Here are a few of my favorite snippets:
- Had a very engaging conversation with a three year old boy about colors. We both like blue.
- The computer made me card a man for buying Elmer’s glue. I questioned the computer. It gave no answers.
- A baby yelled, “LOOK AT ME.” I was too afraid of the consequences not to obey. The eye contact that followed was, frankly, horrifying.
- Clearance school supplies have arrived. A man bought 71 spiral notebooks for $6. A woman bought 110 folders for $4. I hope they meet each other. I would like to see the child of two math problem characters.
- A middle aged woman brought a single item to my lane. She seemed like your average, unassuming, kind and innocent mother type. All she bought was a large box of WWE trading cards. She excitedly told me they were for herself. I respect her. I am confused by her, but I respect her.
- A customer came through looking nervous. She leaned over the counter. She whispered to me. Someone had pooped in the baby supplies aisle. All evidence pointed to it not being a baby.
- Intimidating farmer man in overalls and pigtails came through my checkout. He bought a bucket. He spoke no words. He made no eye contact. He left me with questions.
You’re going to love this! Hell, it’s so good, even Target loves it. Here’s his first week’s post. I recommend you go to his tumblr for the rest.